Monday, March 1, 2010

Bows and RSV

We have enough hair now for a bow! Too cute!
Nadia is supposedly very sick with RSV, but if you didn't know it, you'd never guess. She's as happy and smiley as ever, playing and laughing, but with a cough and some congestion. Thursday she started coughing, but since she'd had a bit of a cold, I just thought it was draining down her throat and making her cough. Friday, the cough got a bit worse, but nothing serious. Saturday she was still coughing and now started being irritable and tugging at her left ear. I called the pediatrician to see what he'd say about it all but he didn't answer his phone. About 6 hours later when he got my message he called me back and wanted me to bring her to his house to be checked out immediately. We went to the pediatrians house and he checked her out in his living room to diagnose her with RSV and fluid in both ears. He started her on an antibiotic and abuterol right away with instructions for us to watch her closely. If she had any trouble breathing while coughing or if she started to cough up anything she'd eaten, he would want to admit her to the hospital. Well - she is great and never got anywhere near coughing that hard or anywhere near needing to go to the hospital. In fact, as he called us to check in every 3-4 hours all day yesterday, he couldn't believe how much she had improved so quickly. To help with her cough, we let her sleep in the swing Friday and Saturday night, but last night she slept the entire night in her bed without any problem. She still isn't supposed to be around other kids until next Saturday and she is occassionally coughing, but like I said, if you didn't know she was sick, you couldn't tell it today. So we get a fun day at home together to play and let her recooperate.
She now loves to drink out of a glass. If I'm holding her and get a drink, she will reach for my glass and persistantly keep reaching for it until I let her have a sip (only water). She does well not to spill! We also set up the pack and play and she has started to play independantly it in with me nearby. I think she likes it because she is high enough that she can still see me while I work.
I've finally started sewing for her. I've had all kinds of plans since before she was born of different projects, but it turned out things were busier with a baby than I expected! Now I'm finally getting to work on a few of those and will post pics as they get done.
I thought it would be a good idea to let Nadia go for a stroller ride facing outward (without the bucket seat) so that she could see everything as we went by. Oh how wrong I was! She spent the entire time trying to twist around backward so that she could see me and didn't look at a single thing on our trip. We're back to the bucket for a while longer for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment